Tuesday 21 August 2012

Iceland Part 4 - Museums


                              Phallological Museum, Husavik - check the artwork around

Holiday is not a holiday without a trip to a museum. I know, some of you might think this is not the most exciting thing in the world (if you are not a culture vulture) but with a bit of research and planing it might just be one of the highlights. I have found that that Husavik, has got one of the weirdest museums in the world - Icelandic Phallological musem. English meaning of the word Phallus is Penis!! Yes, just when you thought Amsterdam couldn't shock you any more, you learn about this museum. This museum has the largest collection of penises in the world! 276 of them (at the time this blog went into press). I know you're thinking that many places have more dicks working in them than that, but lets stay on the biology route please. So this place contains penises from all kinds of animals ranging from earthworm, through human, to whale. Of course, I didn't go there to see it because it is phalluses. I wanted to see it because it is the biggest collection in the world. I would have gone there, if it was let's say, the biggest whale museum in the world.

                                                     Closed :-( All that travelling for nothing

The museum used to be in Reykjavik, but for some ungoogleable reasons, they have moved to one of the Gods' forgoten ends of Iceland - Húsavík. Which in my modest opinion was not the best bet.

                                                                    Husavik Port

Despite being the biggest, it is only a small house, with as you already observed, strange looking artwork. Unfortunatelly, these are all the phalluses I got to see and lay my hands on, as the place was CLOSED! It didn't elaborate why, but I presume it was either end of season that in Iceland lasts three months, or people just can't be bothered to travel to the other side of Iceland for the Biggest Penis collection. Let's be honest here; how many times have we've been lied about the size of something, eh?

Church in Husavik


I did try to find out when will it re open, so stopped a passer by. They didn't know, and after seeing my deflated expression they suggested alternative - Biggest whale museum just couple of hundred yards from there, and pointed a finger in the direction. Honestly, do they think I have just travelled 150 miles, on various quality roads (mostly bad), in all weather conditions (mostly bad) to see a WHALE!? I've seen many nature programs and seen “Free Willie” too. And let's face it, once you've seen couple of whales, you've seen them all. So my hope of getting engrosed in serious biology for an hour has vanished. I wonder what the souvenirs are like in here.

Husavik is not just famous for the Penis museum. Oh no. They are very sought after due to the best whale watching tours on Iceland (just as well, as you wouldn't really have a reason to come here).

As I have travelled so far, I have decided to make the most of being here. Walked around the town (which luckily isn't big), took a photo of a church, seen and photographed their port, stocked up on some rations and 20 minutes later I was on my way out of there.

Another great museum in Iceland is Museum of Sorcery and Witchcraft in Hólmavík. Which also happened to be closed. Again, it did not elaborate why. Probably end of tourist season, which in Iceland lasts just 3 months (June, July and August)

Traditional Icelandic dwellings in National Museum of Iceland, Reykjavik


Last museum that I have visited (and first one that was not closed) was National Museum of Iceland in Reykjavik. The museum is on two floors and it features history of Iceland from settlement in 9. century, to present day. I must say I have enjoyed this museum and not just because I was trying to avoid treacherous conditions outside. My favourite part was using their Video display units that will guide you through the history, if you prefer to save your legs. However, they do need improving, because as soon as you get into each chapter and start to ask some questions, the chapter is over and next one is about something else.

I forgot what this is, but I'm sure it's not what I think it is now


A quirky part of this museum, was a small corner that covered cigarettes and smoking. It was great to see the difference from years ago when smoking was in fashion. People frowned upon you and you got labelled social outcast just because you didn’t smoke, and now we are going in the opposite direction. People roll their eyes if you need to/want to go for a ciggie.

Latest Lady Gaga outfit? Probably too revealing. But this can be also seen in National Museum :-)

So there you have it. Museums are not just boring places. And if you are lucky (or pre plan better) they will be opened.


2 comments:

  1. The thing you don't know what is, it's for horses " saddlery" the long part with 2 circles at the end goes into the mouth of the horse, but it's suppose to go with harnesses (I hope it's the right word ( I looked it up in google))
    the other thing, the green one, is the one hanging from the saddle where you put your boots in.
    http://helluistod.is/photo_gallery/sersm.gif
    http://www.847.is/verslun/images/Resize%20of%20DSC01600.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are going back to Iceland some day you may go to the Phallological Museum - it is back in Reykjavík and open all year around :)

    ReplyDelete