Wednesday 15 August 2012

Iceland - the country of extremes

                                                Jökulsárlón, Glacier lagoon in the morning


It has been my dream to visit this country of diverse landscape and lots of natural phenomena. Mainly waterfalls, glacier lagoon, northern lights (Aurora Borealis), hot springs, volcanic landscape, and if I'm 100% honest, I was hoping for a volcano to go off. In September 2011, I have decided to make my dream come true. 16 days that spread from second half of September and beginning of October. The timing is crucial, as you'll see later, hence I'm so particular about it at this stage.

Every tourist guide describes this country as a land of fire and ice. While this is partially true, I have found out that mostly Iceland is a land of torrential rain and gale force winds. But you can still have fun with that. Before my departure, I chose to ignore peoples' experiences of bad weather, and put it down to them being unlucky. I learned that good weather = good luck, bad weather - normal Icelandic weather.

As my holiday has been and gone, instead of writing daily blogs, I will put my experiences into sections. I will do my best to stick to the topics, but I can not guarantee that.

Bit of an insight into what sort of a person I am, so you know whether you would be exposed to some/any of the experiences I have. Holiday is no such word in my book. If I'm going to a new country, I have to do stuff. Go off the beaten track (so to speak), and try and pack as much as I can into my stay. If I can smell an adventure, thrill, or some ground breaking findings, I'm already on my way. When I get back from my “holiday” (or as I refer to it, work experience) I need a week just to catch up on sleep and catch my breath. I also do photography, so my itinerary is heavily influenced by this. Bad weather can not spoil my holiday, despite in Iceland, it sure has tried hard.

I hope you enjoy my blog, because I sure have enjoyed living the experience :-)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete