Sunday 26 August 2012

Iceland Part 11 - Weather

And the pictures Icelandic tourist board does not want you to see:-)

The weather in Iceland is really bad. But this sometimes creates really dramatic light. Did you know that Iceland is the second windiest inhabited place in the world? First place belongs to Falkland Islands.

Weather is a big part of any holiday and I know we all wish for perfect weather when we set off to any destination. While Caribbean goes hand in hand with tropical heat and blue skies, Iceland is not Iceland without gale force winds and torrential down pour. Questions like: “Does it really rain a lot in Iceland” or “Is the weather really bad in Iceland” come up often in Google searches, which tells me, that my experience wasn’t special and many battle with the elements.

Now I'm not trying to put anyone off from visiting this country, (I have another stint in Iceland lined up - I have to do the Interior) but it’s always good to get the real picture, not just the sunny weather shots you get in brochures.
September and October are the wettest months in Iceland. And I can only confirm this.There can not be wetter and windier weather at any other time.

Before going to any country, I know people Google Flickr for shots and out of three options (recent, relevant and interesting) 99.99% click to see the interesting ones. Then, you get to Iceland, and are gutted when you don’t get the golden sunsets/sunrises, and blue skies with sheep like white clouds. That’s because this type of weather is as common as glamour model with a degree. This picture deserves to be at the top of every Iceland search. Before you go look at this set of images and try to get inspired. It's hardly skillful to get a great shot when you have a golden sunset.
Sun and rain have sometimes battles. In this instance, rain was the winner.

If you read up a lot about Iceland you will come across two weather related pow-wows:
1) Weather in Iceland changes every 5 minutes. Wrong. Weather does change very often, but even from good to bad (which is fastest weather change in Iceland) takes a little longer. However I have to point out that while Iceland has two high pressures weather fronts (good and very good) they have circa 17 different low pressure ones and they have a name for every one of them. In England there is just one word for it - crap. Hence not everything can be translated from Icelandic. And the weather doesn’t necessarily changes good-bad-good-bad either.
2) If the weather is bad in south west, it’s good in north east. This is partially true, and if you are there it's worth checking it out (on the internet at least here), but the full truth is if the weather in Iceland is bad, it’s bad everywhere. Also driving distance from Reykjavik to Vopnafjodur is around 490 miles (790 km) and you can’t do it in less than 10 hours. If nothing else, you will be missing attractions along the way. And Jokulsarlon looks amazing in whatever the weather.
Jokulsarlon in the rain and with rainbow. Not too bad, huh? (except I was getting wet)

The first two days I have had a weather that I would compare to arctic monsoon (artic because it was around 8C). At that point I just thought it was exceptional and that I haven’t managed to escape the curse I have been born with of things going terribly wrong for me. To be honest I did consider abandoning the whole trip and heading home. But as the holiday progressed I have realised that I’m not Gods’ chosen  21.century Noah, and I should leave the animals well alone, rather than try to hoard pairs into my car and save every animal species from what seemed like the new age flood of biblical proportions. The rain has rendered my 200 quid waterproof jacket useless, as either my jacket was not waterproof in the first place, or it is not waterproof in Icelandic conditions.
The good news is, if you love rainbows, you will love Iceland in its wettest. By day 3 I was sick of them, and stopped taking pictures. Not because they're not beautiful, but because rain comes with them. There is a reason why giant rainbow sculpture graces the Keflavik Airport.

I have climbed a hill to see how far I can see (as I’m a sucker for mountain views), but this ended up futile, as not only the weather has worsened to a point where I couldn’t see my feet. I have honestly struggled to get down, as the wind was so strong it was preventing me from going downhill. If it wasn’t for the torrential downpour, I would have a lot longer fun trying to get as diagonal and let the wind stopping me from falling flat on my face. In the UK you have to pay a fair bit of money for the use wind tunnels. Here this type of fun it’s free.

Sometimes storms come in very nice and dramatic packages like this. Unlike in US, in Iceland you don't have to go storm chasing. Here storm chases you.

Because I had the luxury of a car, I have come up with a game to see how many times I can get wet and dry in one day. Getting wet was not a problem (superfast), but the drying bit took longer. Once I was dry second time, I have decided to abandon that mission, as I didn’t fancy getting wet again. Then I thought of my second game, called “Spot the blue colour in the sky”.  Sometimes I swear it was just a mirage or wishful thinking that made me see a blue patch. But once, just waiting for a rain to pass so I can go and explore in better conditions, I suddenly spotted a blue colour patch through the front car window. The sky was clearing! I waited and waited, willing it to become bigger and bigger, and then finally taking over the sky. For some reason, the patch wasn’t getting bigger, it was not getting smaller either. It wasn’t even changing its shape, which I though was a bit odd. After what seemed like hours, but in real time terms was probably just 10 minutes, I got fed up and decided to plan my next adventure. Grabbed the map of Iceland and then it happened! The blue patch I could see through the front windscreen has suddenly disappeared. Turned out, the blue patch I was putting all my hopes into, was just a reflection of one of the glaciers on the map.

Skaftafell Natioanl Park, heavy clouds hold the sun back, but it does get through the hole where it rains. 'mazing phenomena

Admittedly sleeping in the car does get somewhat tricky, when you have rain drumming up against the roof. Try to think of it as you are in the rainforest.  I have heard the saying: “There is no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothes” Well, whoever came up with it, has never been to Iceland J

Light at the end of the tunnel? Actually, no. This was the light I was leaving behind. The road went higher into the thick clouds, and I have witnessed the worst visibility ever recorded. In my diary that is. I wanted to cry, but I couldn't afford to make it worse by having water in my eyes. On this road I have picked up a hitch-hiker mentioned earlier.


When doing my second round of the Ring road, and surfing the information superhighway in Skaftafell National parks' information office (and hiding from torrential conditions that were happening outside) a woman asked one of the guys: "When will we have good weather?" The guy replied: "Next year." The woman laughed because she thought, he was joking. I laughed, because I knew he wasn't. So if you want to avoid bad weather avoid September and October to visit.


Despite the weather, I had really great time, and being thrill seeker, adventurous adrenalin dare devil, I certainly got to have the time of my life. The only thing I would change? I wish I didn’t worry and panic the first two days, thinking if I’m going to see the sun, for at least 5 minutes on my holiday. Everybody gets to see the sun for at least 5 minutes. Obviously in the summer when they have 20 hours of daylight is more probable time to see the sun, than in winter when they get 5 hours of daylight.

15 comments:

  1. Hello Ren, I found your blog when Jón Gnarr shared it on facebook. My name is Gabriel and I'm from Brazil, Rio de Janeiro. My biggest dream is to visit this amazing country. Your blog has been a trip to me,rs. I just love the landscapes and every little bit of thing about Iceland. It can sounds odd, but i love this grey view of Iceland. I never visited and I already do plans to live in this beautiful country. It would be like "live inside my dream". Thanks a lot for your pictures, it inspires me so much. Hugs !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Gabriel for taking a time to share your dream. Iceland has stunning landscape and views, and the weather just makes you appreciate the more in good weather. Hope your dream comes true :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Iceland more than any other place in the world and would travel there again in a heartbeat. However, some of the driving is not for the faint of heart. The roads, in conjunction with the weather changes, created some pretty hairy moments, that I thoroughly enjoyed! I hit a couple of hours of fog where I was on a one lane dirt road and couldn't see past the front of my hood. Magical!!!! It's what keeps the blood pumping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. When I was driving in West Fjords, my hair was permanently up. Survived it, loved it :-)

      Delete
  4. I live in the Skaftafell National park, usually I like September the best because of all the colors in the nature, but last year it didn'd stop raining until march this year. and now it has started again for all of june and all days in july.

    I actually counted all the sunny days we've had in june and july and in total we have 8 days of sun.

    Past 10 months have been pretty bad.

    But your article says it all how it has been all this time.
    Thank you for great reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Hildur for your post. My heart goes out to you, as it can't be much fun have that weather all the time. The autumn colour is spectacular in Iceland, especially as everything grows just few inches tall, so the landscape is covered in the most beautiful coloured carpet.

      I hope the weather improves for you.

      Delete
  5. Great post! It inspires and frightens me at the same time! I have an upcoming camping trip to the Highlands this September!!!
    Your photographs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed, Thank you for your lovely comment. I hope you'll have a better weather as camping can be tricky. At first I wanted to camp, but saved on luggage and slept in a car instead. I have come across couple of people who only trully camped one night, and the rest they slept in a car. Good luck, and if you remember let me know how you got on. I'd be very interested to hear that.

      Delete
  6. Good point, and actually the "less nice" weather becomes a big part of your trip. More of a mix of weather photos would be good and give first time visitors more realistic expectations! Some of my best Iceland memories are weather related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Absolutelly agree about having a mixture of photos in tourist brochures, but many people get put off by bad weather as they can't see past it. I know that I wouldn't have some of my best memories (and pictures), if Iceland had blue skies all the time :-)

      Delete
  7. Super. What a landscape!. I travel a lot all seasons. Just back from Mont Blanc area were it was snowing from 1500 meters and up end of June. Started to read about Iceland last year love to go next year. This post is a great help what to expect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liset. Iceland had the worst weather I could ever imagine, but I had the best time I could ever dream of. Hope you have an amazing time :-)

      Delete
  8. I can totally identify with this! I've been to Iceland a few times - the first time in October it rained the whole time. I've been three times in late March and the first time, in the north, we actually had blue skies (obviously it was cloudy at night, so no northern lights). This year I went back (to the south coast) and also had some blue skies, as well as hail, snow, wind, etc.. Last year was by far the worst though - rain, snow, hail, unbelievable winds. And it was very, very cold at times. It made me realise how everything they do is affected by the weather. Usually the changes, as you say, are from really bad to absolutely unbearable! I thought the car was going to get lifted off the road by gusts of wind last year.
    At least you got some great patches of light amongst the storms. I particularly like the shot of the wavy clouds - very nice!
    Hopefully I'll be back again - in spite of the weather I adore the place - incredible landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sophie, for taking a time to share your experiences with Iceland.

      Delete